What is Homeowners Insurance?
Homeowners Insurance is not only provide coverage for damage to your home, outbuildings and personal property, it also provides liability coverage for you and members of our household both at home and away.
Smoke, fire, theft, sudden water damage are some of the more common homeowner losses but most homeowners cover a much broader list of perils. All will however NOT cover flood or earthquake. Flood can be purchased as a separate policy and most companies will add earthquake if requested.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That's important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you'd need money to repair or replace it.
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Ask your agent to talk about what is covered and be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what's included and what is not.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions.
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (Ask your agent to talk you through your home's features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage.)
- What special limits apply for theft?
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about multiple policy, security system and fire resistance discounts.)
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
Contact us today for a thorough review of your current insurance and to receive competitive quotes. Our policy is to do everything we can to put you in a better position. While we strive to help you to lower your insurance costs, we put protection first.